Make it a great day!
If you've ever called me and gotten my voice mail message, you may have noticed that it ends with "Make it a great day". I've had many people comment on this greeting over the years so I thought now would be a good time to elaborate on why I chose to end my voice mail message in such a way. You see, I believe that with all the complexity and uncertainty that engulfs our daily lives, there is one absolute truth among the chaos. We have the power to make each and every day a great day and I'm going to tell you just how to do it.
1. Start your morning off right! I'm a firm believer that having an intentional morning ritual will set the tone for the entire day. Just think of a time when you over slept and had to jump out of bed and rush around to get ready. Didn't it seem like the whole day was spent trying to make up for that lost time? By taking control of the morning, you set yourself up to have control over your entire day. So how can you start each day in such a way to ensure that it's a great day? I recently read the book The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod in which he perfectly captures exactly how you can make a positive start to each morning. Although I highly recommend getting the book, (Click here to order) I've outlined his Miracle Morning "SAVERS" so you can get started right away!
S ~ Silence spend a few minutes in silence just observing your breath or take a few minutes to meditate.
A ~ Affirmations - Start by acknowledging your worth - you are worthy of having a great day, worthy of self-improvement and worthy of all your wildest dreams. Commit to following through with whatever you have on your agenda. Affirm that you will succeed and refuse to settle for less than what you desire.
V ~ Visualization - picture your life as if you have already achieved all of your goals. What does that look like? How does it feel? Live as if you've already accomplished all of these things.
E ~ Exercise - That's right get moving! Do some stretching or a round of tabata, go for a run - even if you're only moving for 10 minutes, it's worth it!
R ~ Reading - Spend a few minutes on reading something that will improve your life or inspire you.
S ~ Scribing - write down your goals, to-do list or even a list of things you are grateful for. Bringing these things to the forefront of your mind will help keep them a priority.
By starting each day with these things, you're setting yourself up for a great day. Although it would be great if you had two hours to spend on the above tasks, you can start by waking up 15 minutes early every day and spending just 2 minutes on each of these things. After a few days, you'll discover how much you enjoy this time and find yourself getting up even earlier!
2. Check things off your To-Do list! Every item you check off with help build confidence and give you a sense of accomplishment. If your list seems daunting, start small!
Make Bed ✓
Brush Teeth ✓
Make breakfast ✓
Get Dressed ✓
Look how much you've already accomplished for the day!
3. Focus on the positive! There are bound to be situations that arise that throw you off track. Acknowledge them, deal with them in an appropriate way, and then bring your awareness back to the positive aspects of the day. There is always something positive to focus on even if it is simply that you decided to make the day great.
4. Remember you have the power! You are in control of your day. It may seem that you are often at the mercy of others around you, however by simply reminding yourself that you are in control you are empowering yourself to take responsibility for the day you create.
5. Avoid processed foods! I know you've heard me say this time and time again but the only way to know what you're eating is to eat whole, organic non-GMO foods. Processed food can have chemicals, dyes, and even "natural flavors" that wreak havoc on your hormones causing all kinds of issues including mood swings and depression (among A LOT of other things!) so keep it clean!
6. Listen to music! Don't under estimate the power of music. We have all been transported to another time with a song that reminds us our carefree days. Find it. Sing it. Get lost in it.
7. Rein it in! If you're still having a hard time making it a great day, go for a walk, play with a pet, call a friend, do something physical and if all else fails, climb back in bed and start all over again! Pull the covers up over your head, take a few deep breaths and pretend it's a brand new day!
We all have the power within us to choose what kind of day we are going to have. If given the option, why not make it a great day? We are all unique individuals, if nothing I mentioned above helps make your day great - find something that does. Remember YOU are in control. Don't give anyone else the power to ruin an otherwise amazing day. So go on... make it a great day!